Is the Apocalypse coming?
Are we in the days described in the Book of Revelation?
Faithful Catholics are divided in many ways these days. This is one reason we call our site "Catholic Bridge". One area of legitimate discussion is about whether we are on the cusp of the Apocalypse that is found in the Book of Revelation. While Revelation describes ancient Rome, many Church Fathers said it applies to future events also. Are those events now, or are they still many generations away?
An anti-Christ will lead many into a false peace and perdition, and he will initiate a wide scale persecution of Christians. At some point the 7 seals from the book of Revelation 6:1-8:6 will be opened:
- 1st seal: White horse is given authority and a crown of victory
- 2nd seal: Red horse that will take away peace, people will slaughter each other. (Nation shall rise against nation)
- 3rd seal: Black horse holds a scale and famine comes. Many modern prophets and economists say there will be widespread economic collapse.
- 4th seal: Pale green horse, 1/4 of the earth will die from famine, plague, and beasts of the earth
- 5th seal: Martyrdom will come to many of the faithful and they cry out "how long Master, before you avenge our blood?" They are told to be patient
- 6th Seal: Stars fall to earth. All kings, nobles and every person takes cover in caves and mountain crags. They cry "Fall on us and hide us from the wrath of the Lamb"
- 7th Seal: 144,000 from the tribes of Israel and countless other faithful souls, who have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb, and are standing before the throne crying out "Salvation comes from our God". These are the survivors of these great times, and God will wipe every tear from their eyes (Era of peace)
See also Mat 24. (click to show)
3 “Tell us ...the sign ... of the end of the age?” 4 Jesus answered them, .. 7 For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be famines and earthquakes in various places: 8 all this is but the beginning of the birth pangs. 9 “Then they will hand you over to be tortured and will put you to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of my name. 10 Then many will fall away, and they will betray one another and hate one another. 11 And many false prophets will arise and lead many astray. 12 And because of the increase of lawlessness, the love of many will grow cold. 13 But the one who endures to the end will be saved. 14 And this good news of the kingdom will be proclaimed throughout the world, as a testimony to all the nations ...
The Antichrist will not be so called; otherwise he would have no followers... he will come disguised as the Great Humanitarian; he will talk peace, prosperity and plenty not as means to lead us to God, but as ends in themselves... He will tempt Christians with the same three temptations with which he tempted Christ... He will have one great secret which he will tell to no one: he will not believe in God. Because his religion will be brotherhood without the fatherhood of God, he will deceive even the elect. He will set up a counter church... It will have all the notes and characteristics of the Church, but in reverse and emptied of its divine content. It will be a mystical body of the Antichrist that will in all externals resemble the mystical body of Christ. Sheen, Fulton J. (1951). Communism and the Conscience of the West. Country Life Press. p. 17.
What is happening these days?
- The Benedict Option, and its follow up Live Not By Lies which are bestseller books, speak of a persecution coming to Christians very soon, with recommendations about forming communities outside of urban centers.
- Western civilization is unraveling.
- There are numerous similar prophesies such as Fr. Micheal Scanlon, Ralph Martin, and Sister Agnes Sasagawa and Akita
- A 2008 Talk by a Catholic priest summarizes much of the same message of a "warning", chastisements, and necessity to return to the sacraments. It has 168,000 views.
- On the Evangelical side, Pastor Dana Coverstone's "Brace yourself" prophesy is approaching 1,000,000 YouTube views as of this writing Sept 22, 2020.
- Communism is spreading and a one world government is looming which is called "The Great Reset" on the cover of TIME magazine.
- For the first time in history the technology is in place for a "Mark" that permits/prevents buying and selling as per Rev 13:16 "[people will] be marked on the right hand or the forehead, so that no one can buy or sell who does not have the mark [of the beast or 666]".
- The smoke of satan entered the Church which will lead to widespread apostasy. (Pope Paul VI). Anyone following Church politics out of Rome these days would have a hard time not saying that the prophesy is not true.
- Super powers China and the US are squaring off.
- The economy is propped up by an unsustainable debt.
- Heavy handed censorship of the INTERNET by Google, Facebook, Twitter, Apple, banning conservatives as terrorists (literally).
- The family is under attack on every front via gender ideology.
- There is moral anarchy and sexual sin greater than ancient Rome or Greece.
- Abortion is a huge weight upon humanity.
- Expansion of gun laws leaves little recourse to violent oppression by the state. This happened in Venezuela before the dictator took power.
- Over 8 million Americans have purchased arms in the last couple of years, many of whom are new gun owners.
- After 50 years of not too much social unrest in western civilization, we now have street riots, lawlessness, curfews, and disease spreading.
Regardless of whether its coming soon or not, its always a good idea to be prepared spiritually for the Apocalypse, because although we don't know when the 7 seals will be broken, we do know that we could die at any moment. The Lord has told us to keep oil in our lamps. (Matthew 25:1-13) If you are looking for how to prepare your circumstances, check out Daniel O'Conners' article "Sober Minded Preparedness" for a ton of practical tips.
Lord, help us discern these times!
- Is Fr. Michael Rodrigues a prophet for these times?
- 20 Characteristics of a good Catholic.
- Consecration to St. Joseph
- Benedict Option Book Summary
- Book review of "Live Not By Lies: A Manual for Dissident Christians" by Rod Dreher
- How can a Catholic recover from porn?
- Communion in light of COVID-19
- Family Mission Statement for Catholics
- What to do if a pope has problems
- Infograph: Heaven, Purgatory and Hell
- Jewish people, Israel & Catholics